Reality Shows Like BBA No Longer Excite Me -Ebuka, BBN Winner


Ebuka Obi-Uchendu was one of the housemates in the first and only Big Brother Nigeria and since then, not much has been heard of him. In this interview with Adunola Fasuyi, he speaks on many issues bordering on his recent activities.
After Big Brother Nigeria, you disappeared from the scene, what have you been up to since then?
Really? That’s a very interesting thing to say. Actually, you would be the first to say that because I’ve actually been accused of doing too much in the past, so this talk of disappearance is news to me. I hosted four shows on national TV after Big Brother in 2006 up until December 2009; wrote for Thisday newspaper every sunday for four straight years and hosted events constantly.

So, what is this disappearance you speak of?
Yes, since 2010, I have gone quiet and that was because I went back to school to get a Masters Degree. I went to the American University in Washington DC and graduated in June 2011 with two Masters Degrees; one in Intellectual Property and Entertainment Law; and another in Communications Law. So, if you say I disappeared since 2010, then it would make sense, but not after BBN.
How has life been in general?
Interesting is a good word I like to use. As with everyone who lives in Nigeria, everyday comes with its own drama. Even more so for those who live in Lagos. The push to achieve against the many odds stacked against Nigerians and the youth in particular. But the odds are not unique to me, so I can’t complain.
I’m just grateful for everyday I’m alive. I have signed deals with Guinness and Globacom, hosting some of their television shows, including Friend or Foe. I am also a columnist with Thisday and a regular at events and parties.
Why didn’t you try auditioning for Big Brother Africa?
Have I not done enough? The question for me should be; “Why should I try to audition for Big Brother again?” What point would I be trying to prove by going on the show again? It is better to move on from certain things and face new challenges, and that does not mean I have anything against anyone who goes back or wants to. In fact, I was called last year to represent Nigeria at the ‘BBA All Stars’ edition.
I tried considering it but realised that it hardly held any appeal for me anymore. That does not mean it still isn’t a great show. It just means that it didn’t feel right for me at the time. So, I turned it down and Uti went in. I’m not one to do the same thing twice and get the same result and I hardly saw differently. Maybe sometime in the future I’ll change my mind. But for now, Big Brother shouldn’t define my life. There are other things to achieve, other paths to follow and probably other things to audition for.
Why, is it because it’s too immoral for your kind of person?
People will always judge and I can understand why people feel like the show isn’t a beacon of morality. But the truth remains that whatever happens on that show is a reflection to a large extent, of what the society is. The organisers never pick people intentionally to lower the moral bar of the show. They are regular people who go in there and show us what happens in society. Truth remains that (young) people drink, kiss, have sex and fight, whether they are on TV or not.
I don’t see how they are expected to suddenly act as clergymen and nuns just because they are on Big Brother. You should only expect differently when housemates are told how to act; not when they go on a show and are told to be themselves. Secondly, everyone who goes on the show is an adult, the show is meant to be watched by only adults as there is an age restriction in full view on the screen and no one is forced to be on the show or forced to watch.
I find that it is very easy to bring up the morality talk but it falls flat in the face of everything the show brings. They have never touted themselves as a show based on morals. It is a reflection of society and I was a member of society when I went in. It in no way affected me or did anything to shake my faith. I am still a proud Catholic and an active one too.
How would you describe your personality?
I’m not a good judge of myself, so, I don’t think that is a fair question. Of course, I’m going to only say good things about myself, even if I decide to say anything at all. It is like government-owned television stations in Nigeria. You watch them and there is all this awesome news about ‘Good People, Great Nation’ and how the country is moving on to greater heights and all that. But ask a non-Nigerian, and he doesn’t bring up any of those good things. In fact, a non-Nigerian is even too far.
Watch any of the private TV stations and you get a better and more balanced view of things. So, yes, never ask someone to describe themselves because you’ll almost never get the truth. It is always better to ask people who know me. You get a fairer answer that way.
Tell us about your growing up?
I grew up all over Nigeria which was great for me. My dad worked with the Central Bank, so, he got transferred a lot and we followed. From Benin-City to Calabar to Enugu to Lagos to Yola to Abuja. I have lived in virtually every geo-political zone of this country and it made me a lot less prejudiced with all these religious and tribal sentiments you see around.
I am very open and I owe a lot of that to growing up. The only down side to my younger years if at all is the fact that I didn’t really grow up with any of my siblings. I’m the third of four children but my elder sister is eight years older than me, my brother is five years older than me and I’m 12 years older than my younger brother. So, my siblings were always too old or too young for me to hang out with. But it didn’t make us love each other any less. In fact I had super protection because of that. My older siblings always had my back whenever anything came up. Growing up was great all around.
What part of the country are you from?
I’m from Okija in Anambra State. And yes, there is more to the place than that shrine you’re thinking of now. But I was born in Benin-City, Edo State.
What were you doing before going for BBN?
Before that, I was a practising lawyer, who was not earning the best salary and needed a break from the financial burden and stereotype that was law practice. But now, I am ready to go back to it, and very soon too.
What doors of opportunities has BBN opened for you?
The opportunities didn’t come immediately. A lot of us were under the illusion that we would start getting offers to do stuff. But when one week became two months, everyone realised we had to hit the streets ourselves. I walked into ThisDay office and convinced them to give me a job as a writer. I have since mainatained a weekly column there for 3 years now. After that, I auditioned to host Nigeria’s version of Britain’s ‘Dog Eat Dog’ a reality Tv game show. I hosted that for two seasons. I have also hosted an entertainment weekly show called ‘The Glo Show’ for two years as well amongst many other television and stage gigs.
What are some of the challenges you’ve encountered as a celebrity?
The challenges are mostly as a result of pressure and expectations of me from people. The need to always be the well-dressed, smiling, courteous bouyant Ebuka. Unfortunately, that is not a reality and it can never always be that way. Sadly though, a lot of people think otherwise.
Are you a fashion freak, any favourite designers?
I am more a fan of style than fashion. Like they say, fashion comes in seasons, but style is forever. I like to where what suits me as against what is fashionable or has a label. But I also love bespoke tailoring so I do admire bespoke tailors like Michael Andrews and Anderson & Shephard. Nigerian designers are starting to make a name for themselves too with people like Clothsense and Emmy Collins topping my list.
what is happening to your law certificate right now?
I did say earlier that I went back to school to get a Masters degree. So yeah the degree has been dusted and should be put to good use pretty soon. It is a part of my medium to long term goals. I find law very fascinating and as much as I have been away from it for a while, it keeps pulling me back. But it is also a very conservative profession meaning that whenever I start using my certificate, you may never know. It isn’t a job where you are allowed to blow your trumpet. So yeah, the certificate is awake and breathing…
You anchor events these days, is that another career that is taking much of your time?
Yes it is. There is something about being in control of a crowd and knowing they are listening. When I hosted the Presidential debate in March on national TV in Abuja, I had a swell time; knowing that great men who aspired to rule my country were at my mercy not knowing what questions would be thrown at them. I do like to host events. We don’t have a lot of very good compere’s around which has made the comedians take over the job of MCing but I love it. I may always do it on the side even when I decide to face my law career fully…
Are you in a relationship, how soon are you getting married?
No, I am not getting married anytime soon so you heard the wrong rumour. Yes I am in a relationship and I am happy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet the BBNaija Shine Ya Eye guys!

I Was Not Naked - Confidence

Launch: Biggie welcomes the Housemates! – BBNaija